Here are a few things to consider regarding safety when bringing someone home from the hospital/skilled nursing facility:
- Choosing an entrance/where will they exit the car: (preferrably check prior to return home so can be discussed with PT before returning home)
- Consider distance to door, number of steps, whether or not there are rails/hand holds
- Can you get them out of the car on your own?
- How will they being going up the stairs, if present? Weightbearing restrictions? Will they use hand holds, walker, cane or crutches?
- Are the steps they will use in good condition, well lit, non skid surface, have hand holds (rail/grab bar)?