Cindy is demonstrating the correct positioning of the surgical leg for elevation to help reduce swelling after knee replacement surgery.
This positioning technique can be used while in a recliner, on the bed or on the couch. Make sure that you can safely get up from the surface you are using. For rocker recliners, add a thick book, piece of wood, hand held weight under the front edge of the recliner to prevent the downward rocking motion as you attempt to get up.
- Get the foot height above hip height
- Do not sit with a rolled pillow behind your knee allowing you knee to remain in a bent position
- Take caution not to confuse stretching exercise for elevation technique
- Start pillow back at mid thigh
- Place second pillow under calf/lower leg
- Add additional towel roll under heel to assist in getting the leg as straight as possible
- Should be in a position of comfort
- Should not have to work to keep leg on pillows
- Should be able to relax for at least 15-20 minutes or more if possible
- Use ice while elevating