In this video, Alex is demonstrating how to perform a Straight Leg Raise.
- Lying on your exercise surface, bend your opposite knee up (leg not performing the exercise), placing that foot flat
- Flex your foot, pointing your toes toward the ceiling on the leg to perform the exercise
- Tighten the muscles on the top of the thigh
- Keeping the knee straight, slowly lift the leg up 8-10 inches, not raising any higher than the opposite knee
- While lifting the leg during this exercise, always make sure the knee remains straight as well as keeping the stomach muscles firm, not allowing your back to arch off of the exercise surface
***Be sure to check with your PT/surgeon before performing this exercise after hip surgery in order to make sure if/when this is an appropriate exercise for you.